There are two ways of broadcasting radio signals. They are respectively AM (or Amplitude Modulation) and FM (or Frequency Modulation), both FM AM Radio work by the principle of electromagnetic waves. Their main feature is to transmit information. And according to the update autoradio android, the FM AM also updated.
AM works by varying the amplitude of carrier or signal that are being transmitted according to the volume of information sent keeping the frequency constant. On the other hand, FM works by the technology where amplitude is kept constant and information are encoded by varying its frequency of wave.
Comparison between FM AM Radio
- AM was first successfully transmitted in the mid 1870s, while FM was invented in United States in 1930 by Edwin Armstrong.
- In AM Radio, the principle is to change or vary the amplitude to send information keeping the frequency and phase constant. Whereas in FM Radio, frequency is modulated for sending information keeping amplitude and phase constant.
- Since AM was discovered way before, it has got a poor sound quality as compare to FM radio. On the other hand, AM is cheaper than FM and can be transmitted over long distances. It possesses a lower bandwidth and can have more stations available within a frequency range. Physical barriers have an impact on FM signals but FM has a better sound quality than AM due to its higher bandwidth.
- AM signal ranges from 535 to 1705 KHz (OR) Up to 1200 bits per second. While, FM radio ranges in a higher spectrum from 88 to 108 MHz. (OR) 1200 to 2400 bits per second.
- Transmitting and receiving signals in case of AM is easier and simple but needs to be synchronised in case of SSBSC AM carrier. While in FM signals, receivers and transmitters are complex and the modulating signals needs to be detected and converted from the corresponding variation in frequencies.
- AM signals are disturbed by noise. Noise affects amplitude and thus the information stored is compromised. FM signals are not disturbed by noise since information is transmitted by varying frequency and not by amplitude.
Uses and characteristics of FM AM Radio
FM AM Radio is widely used. Previously it was AM Radio and now it is replaced by FM Radio due to better sound quality. AM signals were initially developed for wireless telecommunication. For carrying out a radio communication, DSB-AM (Double Sideband Amplitude Modulation) that is a continuous wave radio signal.
On the other hand, the characteristics of FM Radio include pre- emphasis and de-emphasis of stereophonic FM sound, Dolby FM, Quadraphonic sound and other sub-carrier services.